Saturday, September 25, 2010

It's important to have cookies in the house at all times.

My mom says so. So what did I do on this brisk autumn day of 105 degrees? I baked. And it was really hot in my kitchen. I like to think I was sweating out the calories.

I baked because I have a serious condition called Bittmanopathy. I am completely incapable of NOT making a recipe that Mark Bittman posts in the NY Times. Yesterday he posted a recipe for Savory Cheddar Biscotti, and wouldn't you know it, now they are cooling on my counter.

Fie on you, Mark Bittman! Fie!

I made a savory and a sweet version, and they were both fabulous. AND, I used all whole wheat pastry flour, because YES, I'm still trying to use up that gigantic bag. I've made biscotti before, and I forgot how easy they are. Aside from the long cooking time (they are twice baked), they are a cinch, and it's simple to make small batches of different flavors. I look forward to making more.

DSCF7619

And then eating them.

Jalapeno Cheddar Biscotti
adapted from Mark Bittman's recipe in the New York Times

makes 8 cookies

1 egg
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 c plus 1 T whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 small jalapeno or serrano pepper, seeded and minced

1. Heat the oven to 350 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whirl the egg and the cheese together in a food processor until golden and smooth.
3. Add the remaining ingredients to the egg mixture and pulse 3-4 times until just incorporated.
4. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until you can shape it into a log. It will be crumbly at first.
5. Place the log on the parchment paper and flatten it slightly.
6. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until firm to the touch.

DSCF7615
After the first bake.

7. Cool for 10 minutes, slice on the bias into 1/2" slices, and arrange them in a single layer on the cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flip them over, and bake for 15 more minutes or until hard and lightly toasted.


DSCF7622


Almond Cardamom Biscotti

makes 8 cookies

1 egg
1/4 c sugar
3/4 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 c sliced and toasted almonds
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cardamom

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whirl the egg and the sugar in the food processor until golden and smooth.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse 3-4 times until just incorporated.
4. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until you can shape it into a log. Add more flour as needed.
5. Place the log on the parchment paper and flatten it slightly.
6. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until firm to the touch.
7. Cool for 10 minutes, slice on the bias into 1/2" slices, and arrange them in a single layer on the cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flip them over, and bake for 15 more minutes or until hard and lightly toasted.

DSCF7621

No comments:

Post a Comment