Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Coconutty.

Oh Padma Lakshmi, I heart you. I am such a sucker for all things hot/spicy/gingery/garlicky, and your cookbook fits the bill. This was a pretty simple weeknight meal, as long as you already have the ingredients on hand.

DSCF7652

Menu:
Fresh Green Beans with Lentils and Coconut
Hot and Sweet Grilled Tilapia
Coconut Basmati Rice with Basil and Lime


Fresh Green Beans with Lentils and Coconut
from Tangy Tart Hot & Sweet by Padma Lakshmi

I found these bad boys at the farmer's market the other day and thought this recipe looked perfect to showcase them in all their Medusa glory. I was right.

DSCF7656


Lakshmi calls for white gram lentils, which I didn't even try to find...I took her suggestion and subbed peanuts. Also, I made a special trip to the store to buy a big bag of dried red chiles, and honestly, I couldn't see that that contributed any flavor or heat. They sure were pretty, though. If you want some heat but don't have whole chiles, just reach for your crushed red pepper and give it a shake.

I cut the recipe in half and it made two large portions. I also decreased the oil. I've written it as I made it.

serves 2

2 tsp canola oil
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 T white gram lentils (I subbed roasted peanuts, chopped)
2 whole dried red chiles
3/4 lb green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
salt

1. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the mustard seeds. When the seeds start to pop and crackle, add the lentils and chiles. Once the lentils are toasted light brown, add the cut beans and stir. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I added about 2 T water at this point because my beans were just not steaming).

2. Add the coconut and salt to taste. Cook another few minutes while stirring. When the beans are cooked through but still firm and crisp, about 8-10 minutes, remove from heat. Serve hot.

DSCF7658



Hot and Sweet Grilled Tilapia
from Tangy Tart Hot & Sweet by Padma Lakshmi

This was excellent, easy, and fast, and would probably be equally great with shrimp, chicken, or maybe even tofu. My only change was to broil the tilapia because I was too lazy to light the grill.

serves 2

2 6-oz tilapia filets
olive oil (I used cooking spray)
salt
pepper
1 T freshly-squeezed lime juice
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger (I probably doubled this)
1 tsp minced fresh green chili (I used about 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper)

1. Take the fillets out of the fridge 1/2 hr prior to grilling. Brush the on both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Brush the grill with olive oil as well, and heat until very hot. The grill should be 2 inches from the heat source.

2. Combine the lime juice, sugar, ginger, a pinch of salt, and chili in a bowl.

3. Place the fish on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or just until the fish begins to flake. Place the fillets on a plate and pour the lime and sugar mixture over them. Serve immediately.


Coconut Basmati Rice with Basil and Lime

OK, this one's mine. I love coconut rice and it's so easy. I also love having leftover coconut milk in the fridge, which is impossible to avoid because for some reason they insist on packaging it in 15 oz cans when you rarely use even half of that. Pssht. I like to use mine in coffee in place of milk. You can even steam it for lattes and capuccinos.

makes about 4 1/2 cup servings

3/4 c white basmati rice
3/4 c chicken broth
3/4 c light coconut milk
juice of 1/2 of a lime
zest of 1/2 of a lime
1/4 c fresh basil, packed, chopped

1. Heat the broth and coconut milk in a small saucepan to boiling. Add the rice, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.

2. Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice and zest and the basil.



DSCF7661

No comments:

Post a Comment