Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I smell fall in the air...

OK, maybe I'm being a little over-optimistic, but this morning when I went to the gym before sunrise, there was actually a, well, not a chill, per se, but definitely a not-oppressively-hot tang to the Phoenix air. It is October, after all, and we're starting to see the light at the end of summer's tunnel. Add to that the wicked storm that passed through yesterday, and it's obvious that soup and baking weather is upon us. Just don't think about the fact that it's 90 degrees outside as I type this.

DSCF7635

I had the day off today, which means I made my usual mistake of totally over-booking my day and being waaaay too ambitious about how many chores I would actually get done. I did, however, cook quite a bit today, which should bring Elaine back from the brink of starvation. I do what I can.

Many of the chores I did not accomplish today involved cleaning or some variation thereof; I was stuck at home for a good portion of the morning waiting for the flooring guys to come, and given the choice of cooking or cleaning, I think we all know what the obvious decision was.

There was another biscotti adventure, too...but I will only be posting one of the recipes. The lemon-rosewater version was harder than a brick (seriously, I almost broke a tooth), and I could not taste the rosewater at all. Adjustments are in order.

Menu, not necessary to be eaten all at one meal:
Olive Rosemary Biscotti
(Lemon Rosewater Biscotti)
Cilantro Hummus
Baked Pita Chips
Chicken Soup with Lemongrass and Cumin

Olive Rosemary Biscotti

One nice thing about living in the desert is that rosemary grows like a weed here. You don't even have to tend to it...it just survives on dust and brimstone, apparently. This recipe was quite tasty, if a touch on the salty side. The olives probably provide enough salt without adding any...next time I'll try it without any additional salt.

DSCF7641

makes 8 cookies

1 egg
1/2 c plus 1 T whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c whole kalamata olives, pitted and diced
2 T fresh rosemary, minced
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

1. In a food processor, process the egg until golden.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse 4-5 times until incorporated
3. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead a few times, then shape into a log and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Heat the oven to 350. Bake for 25 minutes or until firm to the touch.
5. Remove from the over, let cool for 10 minutes, then slice on the bias into 8 cookies.
6. Lay the cookies flat on the cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes, turn the cookies over, and bake for another 15 minutes.

Cilantro Hummus
adapted from The Moosewood Cookbook

DSCF7639

makes 1 1/2 cups

3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 scallion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 c cilantro
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
3 T tahini
3 T lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted

1. In a food processor, process the garlic, scallions, and cilantro.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth. Add more lemon juice or salt to taste.

Baked Pita Chips

whole wheat pita bread (I used Trader-Joe's miniature pitas)
cooking spray
seasoning of choice (salt, pepper, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, cumin, chipotle powder...)

DSCF7636

1. Heat the oven to 450.
2. Cut the pita breads with scissors into the desired chip size.
3. Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle whatever combination of seasonings floats your boat.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes until browned, being careful not to burn. Let cool.

Chicken Soup with Lemongrass and Cumin
from Tangy Tart Hot & Sweet, by Padma Lakshmi

DSCF7643

Is there anything this woman doesn't have going for her? Seriously. I think I hate her. But her book is so pretty, and this was one tasty soup. I guess I'll let her stick around.

3 T olive oil (I used 2 tsp)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 stalks lemongrass, cut into 4- to 5-inch pieces and split down the middle
2 green chiles, sliced (I used one serrano)
2 T minced ginger
4 cloves
5 kaffir lime leaves
2 carrots cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 16 pieces (I didn't peel mine and cut them into 32. Ha!)
1 small whole peeled onion (I did not use this)
1 chicken, 2-3 lbs (I used about 2lbs of a cut-up chicken and removed the skin)
2 c chicken stock
4 large celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
salt to taste

1. In a large, deep pot heat the oil over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and stir for two minutes. Add the chopped onion, lemongrass, garlic, green chiles, ginger, cloves, and lime leaves. Stir for 4 minutes.
2. Add the carrots and potatoes.
3. Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the onion and add it to the pot (or, just throw the chicken parts in...this is much easier). Pour the chicken stock over the chicken and add more water as needed to cover the chicken. Cover and simmer for 70 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken and let cool.
5. While the chicken is cooling, add the celery to the soup.
6. Remove the chicken from the bones and dice the meat. Add the chicken back to the pot.
7. Remove the lime leaves and lemongrass before serving.

DSCF7644

2 comments:

  1. ok, so to be clear for the Elaine's in the world - you are using a raw chicken right? skinless ok? also, what brand chicken stock did you use? i have been dying for a chicken soup recipe so i am very very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, raw. I bought a whole chicken, cut up, and pulled the skin off before putting it in the pot. You could easily use bone-in, skinless breasts or thighs or any combination.

    Swanson broth.

    ReplyDelete