Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sunday Brunch at the Flower Street Cafe

I love Sunday brunch. It's pretty much my favorite meal. And while there are many wonderful brunch options available in Central Phoenix, they all cost money, and really, I can make almost everything they can make right here in my own kitchen. AND watch football in my own living room. For cheap.

Menu:

German Apple Pancake
Bacon
Fruit Salad
Chai Latte

German Apple Pancake
adapted from www.eatingwell.com

DSCF7714

Let's get one thing straight: this is not a pancake. Some of you might have known that already, but I've never had a German pancake before, so I didn't know quite what to expect. Perhaps the distinctly high egg:flour ratio should have tipped me off? Regardless, what this IS, is a mighty tasty, eggy, apple-y, creamy, half-custard-half-apple-pie concoction that far surpassed my pancake expectations anyway. I found the original recipe on the Eating Well website; I've written it with my changes.

serves 2-4

2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 tsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 T brown sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c spiced apple cider (note: this was all I could find at the store; the recipe calls for regular cider. I don't think it matters.)

2 eggs
2 egg whites
2 T flour
2 T whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 c skim milk
1/2 c whole milk
1/4 tsp salt
cooking spray
confectioner's sugar for dusting

1. To prepare the apple topping, melt the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the apples and brown sugar and saute over medium-low heat until the apples are soft and golden, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the cider in a small saucepan to boiling. Boil until reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Stir into the softened apples. Stir in the vanilla and cinnamon and set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 400. Place a 12-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven to heat.
4. Prepare the pancake batter: whisk the eggs, egg whites, sugar, and both flours in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in the milk.
5. Using oven mitts, remove the skillet from the oven and spray with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the skillet.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 and bake for 15 minutes more until golden.
7. Meanwhile, gently reheat the apple topping.
8. Remove the pancake from the oven. It will deflate quickly. Dust with confectioner's sugar and cut into 4 wedges. Serve immediately, topped with apples.

DSCF7702DSCF7705


DSCF7712

1 comment:

  1. For the uninitiated: brunch can serve as a substitute for both the breakfast AND the lunch meals...

    ReplyDelete