Saturday, January 8, 2011

I fancy myself some fancy.

You've got to love living in a climate where you can fire up the grill in the middle of January. Tonight we served up the fancy, dry-aged, $25.99/lb ribeye steak that was our backup for Christmas dinner. I now wish I had also bought one of the $8.99/lb ribeyes for comparison; I mean, it was very good, but I don't know that my palate is sophisticated enough to really tell the difference. Caviar would probably be wasted on me, too.

We also made a trip to the farmers' market this morning and picked up some beautiful broccoli, so I felt pressured to highlight it in some other way than our usual steamed version. Thus, the broccoli soup amuse bouche was born.

My favorite part of the meal was the sweet potatoes, so I hope you enjoy them, too.

And, in case you were wondering, The Rolls from our New Year's Eve dinner were still stupendous after being frozen and reheated.

Menu:
Mini Broccoli Soups with Gruyere

Smoky Rosemary Sweet Potatoes with Blue Cheese

Grilled Ribeye

Steamed Broccoli

Herbed Garlic-Cheddar Rolls


Mini Broccoli Soups with Gruyere


DSCF7938

I got the idea for these little soup shooters from a wonderful local restaurant, noca. We went there for Christmas Eve dinner and were served various amuse bouche throughout the meal, one of which was an incredible butternut squash bisque served in a demitasse. I made this soup while the sweet potatoes were roasting.

makes approximately 1 cup

cooking spray
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c chopped carrot
1/4 c chopped potato, or one small red potato
1 c chopped broccoli
1/2 c chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 c skim milk
1 oz gruyere cheese, shredded
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
salt and pepper
dash of cayenne or Aleppo pepper to taste
small steamed broccoli florets for garnish

1. In a small saucepan, saute the garlic in cooking spray for one minute. Add the rest of the vegetables and saute for 3 minutes
2. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
3. Stir in the milk. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
4. Stir in the cheese and heat gently to melt.
5. Add the spices to taste. Garnish with steamed florets and serve in small cups.


Smoky Rosemary Sweet Potatoes with Blue Cheese

DSCF7940

I accidentally charred the potatoes and rosemary, and the scent of smoky rosemary was heady and unexpectedly savory. The blue cheese, in my opinion, contrasted perfectly with the sweet potatoes and the smoked, charred rosemary. Nate had his without cheese, since he doesn't like blue cheese. I know, I'm trying to overlook this.

makes two generous servings

1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 T fresh rosemary, minced
1/4 tsp olive oil
1-2 grinds each of salt and pepper
1 oz crumbled blue cheese

1. Heat the grill.
2. Lightly steam the potatoes in the microwave for 1-2 minutes to get them started.
3. Place the potatoes in the center of a large square of aluminum foil, scatter the rosemary over the top, drizzle the olive oil and sprinkle the salt and pepper. Wrap the potatoes in the foil to make a packet.
4. Roast over high heat for 7-10 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and the bottom layer is slightly charred (slightly! You want a slight smoky taste here, not a brick of charcoal!).
4. Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and toss with the blue cheese, serve immediately.

DSCF7939

Dessert


Sometimes you need to balance out the fancy with some low-brow. I've been on a quest to replicate my childhood soft-serv experiences at the popular summer grease-joint, Minnehan's*, in Lakeville, NY. We went to get ice cream practically every summer night for about 17 years of my life. It was a nightly dilemma: do I get a kiddie vanilla cone with rainbow sprinkles or chocolate dip-top? Ack. It was agonizing.

Sprinkles usually won.

*Oh my goodness, I cannot believe Minnehan's has a website. Times have changed.

I had a flash of brilliance the other day when I saw this sure-to-be-good-for-you product in the grocery store:

DSCF7944


I had recently realized that the answer to my soft-serv quest might very well lay mere steps from my door:

DSCF7946


So after dinner tonight, I put it to the test. I was prepared at the drive-thru with all of the necessary equipment:

DSCF7945

Mr. Sprinkles;
A bowl, giving me the option to roll the cone, Minnehan's style;
A spoon, just in case the ice cream was too soft to risk rolling and thus dropping out of the cone.
I ended up going with the roll option. And lo, it was good.

DSCF7947

No comments:

Post a Comment