Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Luscious Leftovers

I was on my own for dinner tonight, which always means I go all crazy with mushrooms and onions and other such nasties that Nate won't touch. Mmmmm. Last night I had thrown some more tofu in the leftover marinade from the aforementioned Tofu with Sweet Ginger Marinade and used some of it, along with the Spicy Peanut Sauce, in a quick, hearty, thrown-together stew that I ate so fast I think I seared the entire lining off my proximal GI tract. Enjoy.

Marinated Tofu Stew
makes 1 large bowl

DSCF7857

Cooking spray
1/2 of an onion, sliced vertically
2 garlic coves, smashed
1/2 tsp garlic chili paste
1 T grated fresh ginger
4-5 whole shiitake mushrooms (I used the mushrooms from the tofu marinade that were soaked and plumped)
2 pieces of marinated tofu, cubed, or 6 oz extra firm tofu
2 cups torn Romaine lettuce leaves
2 tsp yellow miso paste
2 cups vegetable broth
2 T Spicy Peanut Sauce, or 1 T peanut butter and 1 1/1 tsp each of brown sugar and soy sauce
1 scallion, white and green parts, sliced
juice of 1/2 of a lime, or to taste
Extra soy sauce to taste

1. Spray a soup pot with cooking spray.
2. Saute the onions, garlic, chili paste, mushrooms, and ginger over medium heat until onions are very soft, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the tofu and lettuce and saute for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the miso and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, stir in peanut sauce and scallions, and add lime juice and soy sauce to taste.

DSCF7858

No comments:

Post a Comment